Equal Opportunities Policy
NEWTON ST CYRES PARISH COUNCIL
Newton St Cyres Parish Council is resolved to work actively against discriminatory practice which militates against individuals or organisations gaining access to opportunities to develop their skills at all levels working with the community and organisations within the Parish of Newton St Cyres. Its aim is to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of its policies and practices, for all people, against discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy, race, religion, belief, sex and sexual orientation or any other grounds.
In pursuit of this aim Newton St Cyres Parish Council will:
- Endeavour to be aware of oppression and inequality, the problems they cause, how these affect it and the implications for its work.
- Ensure involvement with individuals and organisations within the Parish of Newton St Cyres to promote equal opportunities.
This policy will be reflected in the planning, provision, development and evaluation of services provided by the Council. Newton St Cyres Parish Council is responsible for monitoring and implementing the policy and keeping it under review. It recognises that developing equal opportunities practice is a process and necessarily requires the involvement of Councillors and organisations, all of whom progress at their own pace. The policy will be altered as the understanding of the whole organisation broadens. It further recognises that an equal opportunities policy held by any organisation supported by the Council which reflects similar underpinning values will take precedence over this policy. If these organisations do not have an Equal Opportunities Policy then this Policy will take effect while those organisations are actively supported by Newton St Cyres Parish Council.
In order to achieve this:
- Newton St Cyres Parish Council will work to promote and encourage good equal opportunities principles and practice.
- Newton St Cyres Parish Council will ensure that its recruitment procedures are scrupulously fair to ensure that all applicants are considered strictly on merit, and strive to provide conditions of service which take account of good equal opportunities practice.
- Newton St Cyres Parish Council will encourage its Councillors and employees to take appropriate steps to identify unmet needs, paying particular attention to those who may be suffering oppression or discrimination.
- Newton St Cyres Parish Council will encourage its Councillors and employees to promote positive images of equality in all aspects of their work, particularly in any information or publicity issued.
- Where available and if required training, will be offered to employees and councillors
- Newton St Cyres Parish Council will encourage any organisation it supports to respect and promote positive attitudes to people with disabilities and those who are different in age, gender re-assigned, married or in a civil partnership, pregnant, religion and belief, sexual orientation, gender, race, culture, sexual identity and language
- Newton St Cyres Parish Council will work to promote and encourage good equal opportunities principles and practices throughout all of its work.
Date of last review: May 2018
Date of next review: May 2019