Skip to main content

Newton St Cyres Parish Council

Minutes of Newton St Cyres Parish Council Meeting held in the Main Room of the Parish Hall on Thursday 3 June 2021 

The meeting commenced at 7.00pm 

Members present

Cllr J Enright (Chair)                              Cllr G Quicke

Cllr R Cashmore                                    Cllr G Scopes

Cllr D Hodge                                         Cllr C Southcott

Cllr L Ouldridge                                     Cllr P Taylor

Cllr S Parker                      

In attendance:  Cllr G Barnell, MDDC, (left 7.50pm) 8 members of public (4 remained to the end of the meeting), J Hole, Parish Clerk

Public Participation

Cllr J Enright welcomed everyone to the first face to face meeting since last March and explained that Parish Councils were no longer able to meet via zoom.  Social distancing measures were in place and followed the Parish Hall requirements.

Concern was expressed by several parishioners that the old school path may not be maintained and this was especially worrying as the road down School Hill was felt to be unsafe due to the narrow pavement and proximity of speeding vehicles. Cllr J Enright explained that under the current licence agreement with the land owner, the path was only for use by children and their parents going to and from school and no dogs were allowed.  Following the receipt of a petition of 69 signatures supporting the maintenance of the path, Cllr J Enright had asked the landowner if it would be possible to vary the terms of the licence to allow more general use and dogs on leads and the land owner was considering the request.  If the landowner agreed then the Parish Council would still need to agree to take on the maintenance required.

Could S106 money from the old school site be available to use on the path?  Cllr J Enright said that initial discussions with the developer suggested that this could be considered.

Cllr R Cashmore noted that DCC had a new Community Grant Scheme and it may be possible to apply for a grant for the path if appropriate.

Formal Business 

01/06/21      Apologies

Cllr M Squires (DCC) (unwell) 

02/06/21      Declaration of Interest

None noted 

03/06/21      Minutes of the last meeting held on Thursday 6 May 2021

Agreed and signed as a true record 

04/06/21      Mid Devon District Council

4.1                 Planning Applications:

21/00858/FULL - Erection of building for domestic use incidental to the main dwelling at Bodleys Farm, Newton St Cyres – no comment

21/01022/FULL - Installation of 4 antennas, 1 GPS antenna and 1 electrical meter cabinet at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres – supported

21/00861/HOUSE - Erection of two-storey extension at Enniskerry Newton St Cyres Exeter EX5 5DE – no comment

Since the agenda had been sent out an application had been received: 21/00888/CAT - Notification of intention to fell 1 Lawson Cypress tree within a Conservation Area at 4 The Village.  The Clerk had requested an extension for comments until after the July meeting but this had not been granted yet.

4.2                 Planning Decisions:

21/00664/CAT - Notification of intention to remove 1 Holm Oak tree (T416) and reduce a single limb by 2m on 1 Cherry tree (T413) within the Conservation Area at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres – grant permission

21/00663/TPO - Application to crown lift 1 Lime tree (T415) by target pruning to 5.5m above ground level protected by Tree Preservation Order 08/00008/TPO at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres – grant permission

21/00696/LBC and 21/00695/FULL – full planning and Listed Building Consent for installation of a conduit and high-level sensor to monitor flow with the River Creedy to include installation of a new kiosk and associated ductwork at New Bridge, Langford Road, Langford – grant permission

4.3                 Report from meeting with Highways re Langford Road traffic and update on TRO (Traffic Regulation Order) request

Notes from the meeting and the TRO had been circulated.  Cllr J Enright reported that since the zoom meeting, DCC had refused the TRO on the grounds that the bridge at Langford has no restrictions on it.  However, this did not address the many other issues such as volume of traffic, safety issues and quality of life for local residents.  The next stage was a formal complaint to DCC and Cllr J Enright asked for Councillor’s support to lodge a formal complaint from the Parish Council.  This was unanimously agreed.  It was suggested that the details should be copied to our MP but Cllr J Enright thought the formal process should be followed first.

4.4                 To note invitation to speak at EDDC Planning meeting 9 June, re HN3/20/1517/FULL - Construction of digestate storage lagoon, with associated hardstanding and 2.4 metre high security fencing at Land South of Rixenford Lane, Upton Pyne

Cllr G Barnell and Cllr R Cashmore had requested to speak at the EDDC planning meeting, both would be speaking against the proposal.  The meeting would be available to watch on line.

4.5                 District Councillor, Cllr G Barnell, to report on MDDC business relevant to the Parish

Cllr G Barnell noted that once the formal complaint stage had been exhausted with regard to item 4.3 above, the next step would be referral to the ombudsman.

The new local plan would cover 2025 to 2045.  Key focus areas included a transport plan for the A377 looking at alternative methods of transport such as rail and cycleways.  Proposals would likely come out to Parish Council in the autumn.  Cllr G Barnell suggested that close scrutiny of the plan would be required, especially with regard to the proposed numbers for new houses.   Cllr R Cashmore suggested an agricultural policy was required to address issues such as the one brought up by the lagoon application which were industry related rather than agricultural. 

05/06/21      Finance

5.1                 Parish Council Receipts Current Account:

Allotment rent - £160.00    

5.2                 Parish Council Payment Current Account

Since the agenda had been circulated, an invoice for grass cutting on the village green had been received and it was resolved to include this in the payment schedule which was agreed as: 




Amount £


J Hole

Salary and expenses







Simon Saunders

Grass Cutting



5.3                 To approve signatures for this month’s cheques 

Cllr G Quicke and Cllr S Parker

5.4                 Balances (after above transactions)

5.4.1   Parish Council Current Account balance: £15,392.04

5.4.2   Footpath Account: £268.02 

5.4.3   Car Park resurfacing fund balance: £7,514.28

5.5                 Financial Statement and Budget Monitor


5.6                 Quarterly bank reconciliation 

Checked and signed by signatories

5.7                 To consider new noticeboards for Half Moon and Tytheing Close

It was resolved to proceed with two new noticeboards


06/06/21      Matters raised by the Chair 

6.1                 None 

07/06/21      Councillor’s Reports            

7.1                 Areas of Responsibility reports

7.1.1              Allotment update – to consider work required.  Allotment accounts circulated

Cllr L Ouldridge reported that a meeting had taken place at the allotments with a contractor who would be providing a quote for work required to clear 4/5 very overgrown plots. Four plots had been given up and these were currently clear and tidy and should be maintained this way.   A skip would be required although some rubbish could be burnt.  A meeting with allotment holders had been called for next Tuesday to update them on the plans and to ask if they would be able to keep the areas around their plots tidy and pull self-seeding saplings.  One allotment holder was willing to act as liaison between other holders and the Parish Council.   Cllr J Enright requested a costed proposal for the work required.  It was suggested that perhaps the allotment land could be reduced in size but this would be difficult as the plots were distributed through-out the site.

7.1.2              Report on conclusion of meetings with Environment Agency (EA) re flood risk in NSC

Cllr J Enright reported that following a number of zoom meetings with the EA an amended letter would be sent to properties who may be at flood risk.  Clerk to follow up on offer to pay for half the cost of maintenance of the tipping rain gauge.


08/06/21      Clerk’s Report          

8.1                 Update on Internet banking

The Clerk reported that internet banking with NatWest would cost £20.00 per month to cover up to 5 accounts.  Unity Trust Bank would charge £6.00 per current account with no charge for savings accounts.  It was resolved to proceed with changing the current account to
Unity Trust and keeping the Footpath current account with NatWest.  Clerk to decide whether to change the reserve account depending on how easy the process is


09/06/21      Parish Council

9.1                 To confirm support for A377 Action Group and to agree that NSC PC Clerk will act as Clerk to the Action Group and be paid for additional hours

Support for the Group was confirmed and it was resolved that the Clerk would claim extra hours for work undertaken


9.2                 To consider re starting the group to look at setting up a Community Land Trust (CLT)

Cllr J Enright explained that due to Covid this project had been put on hold but would now recommence and it was resolved to continue to explore either setting up our own CLT or working with a housing provider. 

9.3                 Update on speeding concerns and request for NSC to be added to added to the VAS rota

The Clerk had requested that the parish be added to the rota for VAS but had not had a reply and would chase this up

9.4                 Update on Airband broadband contract and sending out questionnaire

Cllr R Cashmore updated the meeting.  Approximately 200 properties in our parish had been identified by Airband to receive Broadband fibre possibly by 2024.  The voucher scheme had been withdrawn so there was no point in progressing the parish questionnaire as financial assistance was no longer available.    Currently the 200 properties were not being disclosed but once the locations were known plans could be made to see if other properties could be included depending on locations.

9.5                 To discuss role of Climate Emergency Officer and to consider a Climate Change/Emergency Policy

Standing Orders were suspended and Sue Rowell who had been invited to work with the Parish Council as Climate Emergency Officer was welcomed to the meeting and gave a brief resume of her experience and work to date.  A carbon calculator would be circulated for information which showed estimated carbon production by parish.   DCC advice suggested three areas to concentrate on: actions to improve the environment, actions to reduce carbon and actions to help prepare for the changes that would be necessary due to climate change.   As a first step, it was proposed to run a workshop for Councillors to look at how this area fitted into the statutory responsibilities for Parish Councils and to invite guest speakers and, as a second step to engage the community.  It was resolved that Sue and the Clerk would come up with a plan for the workshop.  Standing orders were reinstated.

9.6                 To agree any updates to the Parish Council Action Plan

Councillors were asked to let the Clerk know of any suggested updates to add to those suggested by the Clerk  and circulate for the next meeting. 

10/06/21      Devon County Council

10.1               Outstanding Highways issues

There were no updates on any of the outstanding issues apart from the street lights on the green which were not working.  The problem had been referred to Western Power to resolve. This would be added to the list of outstanding items.  It was noted that it would be very helpful if DCC could share its proposed list of works with the Parish Council.

10.2               To consider application for DCC grants as detailed in Highways Newsletter

As noted in the public sessions, this may be appropriate if any work is required on the old school path.

10.3               New Highway issues

None noted

10.4               County Councillor, Cllr M Squires, to report on DCC business relevant to the parish

A short report had been circulated earlier in the evening 

11/06/21      Miscellaneous Correspondence      

Various newsletters had been circulated

Petition re keeping the old school path

Cllr J Enright had received notification from NSC Football Club of an application for Station Road to be one way only between 8am and 10am on 10 and 11 July for a football tournament.  The football club also asked if they would be able to get Chapter 8 training for a representative and the Clerk would make enquiries with DCC.                                          

12/06/21      Minor Matters and Items for Future Agenda

None noted         

13/06/21      Date of next PC meeting: Thursday 1 July 2021, 7pm in the Club Room at the Parish Hall                      

End of Formal Business

Public Participation

There was none

The meeting closed at 9.05pm