Skip to main content

Newton St Cyres Parish Council

Minutes of Newton St Cyres Parish Council Meeting held remotely via Zoom on Thursday 4 February 2021

The meeting commenced at 7.00pm 

Members present via Zoom

Cllr J Enright (Chair)                      Cllr G Quicke

Cllr R Cashmore                            Cllr G Scopes

Cllr D Hodge                                  Cllr C Southcott

Cllr L Ouldridge                             Cllr P Taylor
Cllr S Parker                        

In attendance:  James Anstee, DCC Road Safety Manager (left after public participation), Cllr M Squires, DCC (left 7.55pm), 4 members of public (1 stayed until the end of the meeting), J Hole, Parish Clerk 

Public Participation

Cllr J Enright welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked James Anstee for attending

Cllr J Enright outlined the speeding issues in Newton St Cyres which have been increasing over the last few years due to developments in Crediton and beyond.  Half Moon and Tytheing Close are particular problem areas.  Residents struggle to cross the road due to the volume and speed of vehicles and many had witnessed dangerous driving such as overtaking on the wrong side of the middle islands.  Following a complaint from a Tytheing Close resident to the Chief Constable, the Police had visited to monitor speeds from Sand Down Lane/Tytheing Close and had confirmed that they may be an issue with speed.  However, following DCC’s SCARF review meeting in September, it had been concluded not to take any further action.  There appeared to be a variance between what residents’ experience and report and what the speed data shows. 

A Tytheing Close resident reported that she had spoken to 25 residents who were very angry about the speeding through the parish and wanted to know why nothing was being done?  Some had written emails to the Clerk and these had been shared with James Anstee.

A resident from Half Moon explained the difficulty and danger of crossing the road and having to walk in the road down to the layby because the grass verge was unusable in the winter. She had reported the problem numerous times to DCC but no action was being taken

James Anstee said that the mobile police enforcement had been out to Half Moon a couple of times in December.  The Police attend DCC SCARF meetings so they would have had an input to the September meeting.  The footpath at Half Moon was tied in with Hanlons planning permission, but James agreed to look at this again with his development colleagues.  Although average speed cameras had been talked about, this was as an alternative to a crossing and as a crossing had now been agreed, it was unlikely that ASC would be installed.  James was willing to share the speed data and would send this to the Clerk.  DCC view the A377 as a travel corridor and look at the statistics over the length of the road and not just in NSC.

Cllrs hoped that when the old school site is developed, some form of crossing at Tytheing Close can be tied in to the planning permission.

Cllr J Enright invited James Anstee to the Annual Parish Meeting in April when more time would be available for questions and answers.  Cllr J Enright thanked James Anstee for attending

A resident in Godolphin Close had reported that cars were parking all day outside the old post office and this was causing an obstruction and sometimes the bin collection lorry could not access the Close.     Clerk to ask DCC if a waiting time restriction can be introduced.

A Tytheing Close resident reported inconsiderate parking and Cllr J Enright suggested residents should report to the Police on 111.

Cllr R Cashmore noted that the EDDC planning application for a slurry lagoon at Rixenford Lane was still being discussed.  If passed it would result in approx. 2,500 tractor with trailer journeys per year. There were numerous objections on the planning portal and a petition was circulating 

Formal Business

01/02/21     Apologies

Cllr G Barnell (MDDC meeting) 

02/02/21     Declaration of Interest              

None noted 

03/02/21     Minutes of the last meeting held on Thursday 3 December 2020

Agreed and to be signed as a true record 

04/02/21     Mid Devon District Council

4.1              Planning Applications:

20/02130/HOUSE - Erection of an extension to carport, conversion of carport to garage, alterations to parking bay and driveway with associated landscaping at 1 Kingfisher Close Newton St Cyres Exeter Devon EX5 5DH – no comment

20/01584/MOUT – Revised Drawings and additional information for outline for the erection of a 50 bedroom nursing home at Langford Park Nursing Home Langford Road, Langford - no comment

To note: 20/00317/CLU - Appeal against refusal for a Certificate of lawfulness for the existing use of buildings and land on the 489 acre holding for agricultural use, including commercial storage within 3 buildings at Winscott Barton

4.2              Planning Decisions:

20/01403/TPO - Application to remove 2 stems of 1 Lime tree and reduce the height by approximately 3m; reduce 1 Holm Oak tree by cutting back to boundary by approximately 2m and reduce the spread of 1 Yew tree by approximately 2m, protected by Tree Preservation Order 08/00008/TPO at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres – application refused

4.3              To note publication of S106 reports on MDDC website  There is £1,000.00 in the general pot which is available to NSC and Shobrooke

Clerk to confirm with MDDC what S106 money may be spent on and depending on the response, to ask the Parish Hall, Arboretum and Recreation Ground for any suitable projects

4.4              To note final report from Local Boundary Commission -

With effect from 2023, Newton St Cyres and Shobrooke would be in different wards.

4.5              District Councillor, Cllr G Barnell, to report on MDDC business relevant to the Parish

A report had been circulated and was noted. 

05/02/21     Finance

5.1              Parish Council Receipts Current Account:

£500.00 DCC Locality grant for purchase of bench       

5.2              Parish Council Payment Current Account

These were agreed as:





Amount £


J Hole

Reimbursement for PPE purchase



Citizens Advice




J Hole

Salary and expenses (Dec and Jan)




PAYE (Dec and Jan)


 * already paid

5.3              To approve signatures for this month’s cheques

Cllr G Quicke and Cllr P Taylor. 

5.4              Balances (after above transactions)

5.4.1           Parish Council Current Account balance: £15,841.78

5.4.2           Footpath Account: £268.02 

5.4.3            Car Park resurfacing fund balance: £6,014.08

5.5              Financial Statement and Budget Monitor


06/02/21     Matters raised by the Chair 

6.1              None 

07/02/21     Councillor’s Reports    

7.1              Update on Coronavirus and NSC PC community response

Cllr D Hodge reported that there was little demand for any support at the present time

7.2              Areas of Responsibility reports

CRG – Clerk to provide sheds keys to Cllr G Scopes.  The PPE equipment had been delivered to the Hall and to the Rec.

Minuted here but taken after item 10

7.3              To agree specification for new bench for village green

A list of suggested benches had been circulated. Cllr M Squires requested that the bench should have arms for ease of use.  It was agreed that the Clerk would try to find a sustainable bench with arms. 

08/02/21     Clerk’s Report     


09/02/21     Parish Council

9.1              Update on Broadband survey

Cllr R Cashmore updated the meeting – DCC/CDS had awarded a Broadband contact to Airband who Cllr R Cashmore had contacted and sent information to, including the results of the online survey, with a view to checking if we should be asking for any additional information in the paper survey that we had agreed to send to all parishioners.  Unfortunately no reply had been received.   As the voucher scheme expired in March it was proposed to wait and see if the scheme would be extended or replaced before taking any further action 

9.2              Speeding update – to note correspondence from parishioner (previously circulated) and agree any further actions

This had been covered in the public session. 

9.3              Report from meeting with Environment Agency (EA) re flood risk in NSC

Cllr J Enright reported that the EA would be amending their proposed letter to residents, which would still warn of the risk of flash flooding but in a more considered way.

9.4              Volunteer of the Year was not awarded in 2020 – to agree to carry over winner from last year to this year and present award virtually at Annual Parish Meeting in April

This was agreed

9.5              To note request for a salt bin for Kingfisher Close and to consider grant funding available for purchase

Clerk to find out what funding was available

9.6              To consider “Gateway to Mid Devon” proposal

A proposal from NSC Church had been circulated.  Cllrs R Cashmore and G Scopes agreed to discuss this further with the Church representative and report back at the next meeting. 

Minuted here but taken after item 3  

10/02/21     Devon County Council

10.1            Outstanding Highways issues

Cllr M Squires explained that our Neighbourhood Highways Manager was extremely busy at the present time and due to COVID-19, parish drive arounds had not been possible since last March making following up outstanding items very difficult.  Cllr M Squires agreed to chase up as best she could all the outstanding issues below

  1. Speed restrictions in Station Road – SCARF re test requested – with Cllr M Squires
  2. Request for a School sign in Station Road and possible zig-zag lines outside the school – declined - requested this is re-considered. Cllr M Squires to check if PC can put up sign
  3. Request for a Road Safety audit on A377 in centre of village
  4. Chapter 8 training for volunteers – on hold due to COVID-19
  5. Drain cover on A377 – passed to BT as a fault
  6. Double white lines on A377 – deferred until installation of crossing – remove from list
  7. Relocate grit bin from outside old school to Tytheing Close

10.2            New Highway issues

None noted

10.3            To note new Traffic Management Procedure which allows the use of vehicle activated speed warning signs

Details had been circulated and were noted

10.4            To consider a response to Devon Carbon Plan consultation

Details had been circulated and Cllrs could respond individually if they wished

10.5            County Councillor, Cllr M Squires, to report on DCC business relevant to the parish

Cllr M Squires reported that budgets were being set and Council Tax would be going up due in part to the increased demand for social and childcare services.  It was likely that this would impact on the budget for highways.  The County Council elections in May are still scheduled to go ahead, although it was likely that door-to door canvassing would not take place.     

11/02/21     Miscellaneous Correspondence

Sandford Primary School have confirmed decision to federate with Exe Valley Federation

Volunteer help required to set Post Office up

MDDC are sending out a new build homes residents survey.                       

12/02/21     Minor Matters and Items for Future Agenda

Clerk to send instructions for adding signatories to the bank account to Cllr D Hodge

Clerk to ask Cllr G Barnell to investigate a parking query at Casterlands 

13/20/21     Date of next meeting: Thursday 4 March 2021, 7pm – via zoom

End of Formal Business

Public Participation 

Clerk to request accident statistics for A377

The meeting finished at 8.45pm