Skip to main content

Newton St Cyres Parish Council

Notice of Meeting of Parish Council

Dear Councillors

I hereby give notice that a Meeting of the above-named Parish Council will be held Council will be held in the Main Room of the Parish Hall on Thursday 3 June 2021 at 7.00pm. 

All members of the Council are hereby summoned to attend for the purpose of considering and resolving upon the Business to be transacted at the meeting set out hereunder. 

Dated this 27 May 2021

Signed       Jane Hole

Clerk to the Parish Council          01392 851148 

Public Participation

Public Question Time.  Members of the public are invited to give their views and ask questions on issues on this agenda or to raise issues for future consideration by the Parish Council. 

Formal Business 

(Members of the public may not take part in the formal business of the Parish Council except under special circumstances) 

01/06/21      Apologies - To receive apologies 

02/06/21      Declaration of Interest

2.1                 Register of Interests.  Councillors to update as required

2.2                 Personal Interests.  Councillors must declare any personal interest in items on the agenda and their nature.

2.3                 Prejudicial Interests.  Councillors must declare any prejudicial interest in items on the agenda and their nature and they must leave the meeting for that agenda item. 

03/06/21      Minutes of the last meeting held on Thursday 6 May 2021 (previously circulated)

To be agreed and signed as a true record 

04/06/21      Mid Devon District Council

4.1                 Planning Applications:

21/00858/FULL - Erection of building for domestic use incidental to the main dwelling at Bodleys Farm, Newton St Cyres

21/01022/FULL - Installation of 4 antennas, 1 GPS antenna and 1 electrical meter cabinet at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres

21/00861/HOUSE -  Erection of two-storey extension at Enniskerry, Sand Down Lane, Newton St Cyres Exeter EX5 5DE

4.2                 Planning Decisions:

21/00664/CAT - Notification of intention to remove 1 Holm Oak tree (T416) and reduce a single limb by 2m on 1 Cherry tree (T413) within the Conservation Area at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres – grant permission

21/00663/TPO - Application to crown lift 1 Lime tree (T415) by target pruning to 5.5m above ground level protected by Tree Preservation Order 08/00008/TPO at Church of St Cyr and St Julitta Church Lane Newton St Cyres – grant permission

21/00696/LBC and 21/00695/FULL – Full planning and Listed Building Consent for installation of a conduit and high-level sensor to monitor flow with the River Creedy to include installation of a new kiosk and associated ductwork at New Bridge, Langford Road, Langford – grant permission

4.3                 To note invitation to speak at EDDC Planning meeting re HN3/20/1517/FULL - Construction of digestate storage lagoon, with associated hardstanding and 2.4 metre high security fencing at Land South of Rixenford Lane, Upton Pyne

4.4                 Report from meeting with Highways re Langford Road traffic and update on TRO request – notes below

4.5                 District Councillor, Cllr G Barnell, to report on MDDC business relevant to the Parish 

05/06/21      Finance

5.1                 Parish Council Receipts Current Account: Allotment rent - £160.00     

5.2                 Parish Council Payment Current Account:




Amount £


J Hole

Salary and expenses






5.3                 To approve signatures for this month’s cheques 

5.4                 Balances (after above transactions)

5.4.1              Parish Council Current Account balance: £15,472.04

5.4.2              Footpath Account: £268.02 

5.4.3              Car Park resurfacing fund balance: £7,514.28

5.5                 Financial Statement and Budget Monitor (attached)

5.6                 Quarterly bank reconciliation – to be checked and signed by signatories

5.7                 To consider new noticeboards for Half Moon and Tytheing Close – approx. £60.00 each 

06/06/21      Matters raised by the Chair 

6.1                 None 

07/06/21      Councillor’s Reports            

7.1                 Areas of Responsibility reports

7.1.1            Allotment update – to consider work required.  Allotment accounts circulated

7.1.2            Report on conclusion of meetings with Environment Agency re flood risk in NSC                      

08/06/21      Clerk’s Report          

8.1                 Update on Internet banking 

09/06/21      Parish Council

9.1                 To confirm support for A377 Action Group and to agree that NSC PC Clerk will act as Clerk to the Action Group and be paid for additional hours

9.2                 To consider re starting the group to look at setting up a Community Land Trust

9.3                 Update on speeding concerns and request for NSC to be added to added to the VAS rota

9.4                 Update on Airband broadband contract and sending out questionnaire

9.5                 To discuss role of Climate Emergency Officer and to consider a Climate Change/Emergency Policy

9.6                 To agree any updates to the Parish Council Action Plan


10/06/21      Devon County Council

10.1               Outstanding Highways issues (see below)

10.2               To consider application for DCC grants as detailed in Highways Newsletter

10.3               New Highway issues

10.4               County Councillor, Cllr M Squires, to report on DCC business relevant to the parish 

11/06/21      Miscellaneous Correspondence      

Various newsletters – circulated

Petition re keeping the old school path

Any other correspondence will be available at the meeting.     


12/06/21      Minor Matters and Items for Future Agenda

Each Councillor is requested to use this opportunity to report minor matters of information not included elsewhere on the agenda and to raise items for future agendas.  Councillors are respectfully reminded that this is not an opportunity for debate or decision making. 

13/06/21      Date of next PC meeting: Thursday 1 July 2021, 7pm in the Club Room at the Parish Hall

End of Formal Business - Public Participation 



Agenda Item 4.3

Meeting with DCC regarding a Langford Road TRO request 

In Attendance: 7 Langford residents , Graeme Barnell, Margaret Squires, Tom Vaughan,  Roger Cashmore, Peter Johns, Graham Scopes,  Jim Enright 

  1. Sally started the meeting by explaining the background which has led to the TRO request. Basically until 3 years ago Langford Road was safe for walkers, cyclists and horses. As a result of development of a few farms into industrialised businesses the road is now plagued by 100`s of HGV, tractor and trailer movements each day. 
  1. Ken advised that Highways have deemed 24t HGV`s as unsuitable for Langford Road and usage should be restricted to 16t weight. Legally tractors and trailers should not exceed 14t. 
  1. Sally explained that Langford Road meets all of the criteria required for a TRO to be put in place. 
  1. Tom said that the problem was a lack of suitable alternative routes and the existence of current agreed routes on past planning applications. He further stated that a TRO would require monitoring and enforcement by the police. DCC were aware of the use of oversized vehicles and this has been referred to the police. DCC had to pick up the cost of road damage but access to local properties had to take place. 
  1. Those assembled felt that there were suitable alternate routes which were less residential than Langford Road.

The existing planning decisions were taken without any consultation with the Parish Council and without the awareness of residents who would have objected to such permissions. It was not a case of moving the problem on, more that local roads are unsuitable for such use. It was pointed out that Neil Parrish is aware of the problems and is raising questions. 

  1. Tom was asked what would be the next step for residents to take if their request for a TRO was turned down. He wanted time to consult and agreed to write back to Jim with an answer. 
  1. Ken asked that residents contact him and share with him any evidence of the numbers of movements or the damage caused by HGV`s, tractors and trailers, and in particular the size of loads and photos. He asked that residents also use such evidence to object directly to the present planning application for a Rixenford Lane lagoon. 
  1. Glenn asked if the culverts in Langford Road and the two bridges could receive a structural check as promised some years ago. 
  1. All were thanked for their attendance, especially Tom for giving up his time and facing the concerns, and Sally who is leading the request for a TRO. 

Further action will await a response from Tom and DCC 

Regards, Jim Enright, Chairman, NSC Parish Council.


Case for a TRO can be read here 


Agenda Item 5.5

Budget Monitor  


Agenda item 7.1


Agenda Item 10.1 - Outstanding Highways issues 

  • Speed restrictions in Station Road – SCARF re test requested – with Cllr M Squires/NHM to action
  • Request for a School sign in Station Road and possible zig-zag lines outside the school. With NHM to consider a sign and or a SCARF retest
  • Drain cover on A377 – passed to BT as a fault – with NHM
  • Relocate grit bin from outside old school to Tytheing Close – no update
  • School Hill – clear grass etc back from pavement – with NHM to decide if DCC will do the work or if DCC will fund for Road Wardens to clear
  • Lower pavement on the bus stop side of Tytheing Close to facilitate easier access – no update
  • Salt bin for Kingfisher Close – Cllr M Squires confirmed the request had been submitted.
  • Gateway to Mid Devon sign