Skip to main content

Newton St Cyres Parish Council

Notice of Meeting of Parish Council

Dear Councillors

I hereby give notice that a Meeting of the above-named Parish Council will be held remotely using Zoom on Thursday 3 September 2020 at 7.00pm.

All members of the Council are hereby summoned to attend for the purpose of considering and resolving upon the Business to be transacted at the meeting set out hereunder.

Dated this 27 August 2020

Signed                    Jane Hole

Clerk to the Parish Council          01392 851148


Public Participation – please email by 6pm on Thursday 3 September for details of how to join the zoom meeting 

Public Participation

Public Question Time.  Members of the public are invited to give their views and ask questions on issues on this agenda or to raise issues for future consideration by the Parish Council.

Formal Business 

(Members of the public may not take part in the formal business of the Parish Council except under special circumstances) 


01/09/20     Apologies - To receive apologies


02/09/20     Declaration of Interest

2.1              Register of Interests.  Councillors to update as required

2.2              Personal Interests.  Councillors must declare any personal interest in items on the agenda and their nature.

2.3              Prejudicial Interests.  Councillors must declare any prejudicial interest in items on the agenda and their nature and they must leave the meeting for that agenda item.


03/09/20     Minutes of the last meeting held on Thursday 2 July 2020 (previously circulated)

To be agreed and signed as a true record


04/07/20     Mid Devon District Council

4.1              Planning Applications: None       

4.2              Planning Decisions:

                   20/00743 - Conversion of existing annex to separate dwelling including raising of roof for first floor at Lilly Farm, Newton St Cyres – grant permission

 20/00744/FULL - Erection of 2 dwellings following demolition of barn at Lilly Farm, Newton St Cyres     - refuse permission

20/00898/HOUSE - Alterations to enclose part of existing porch at Ridgeway House, Newton St Cyres – grant permission

20/00002/TPO at former NSC School site – order confirmed

20/01180/NMA - Non Material Amendment for 16/00804/HOUSE to allow alterations to roof and fenestration on South West and North East elevations and installation of velux window on North West elevation at The Old School, West Town Road – grant permission

4.3              To note that MDDC have adopted their Local Plan 2013-2033

4.4              To note publication of Greater Exeter Strategic Plan consultation – to agree any actions/response

4.5              To consider upgrade of litter bins to dual use – see below

4.6              District Councillor, Cllr G Barnell, to report on MDDC business relevant to the Parish 

05/09/20     Finance

5.1              Parish Council Receipts Current Account: £23.00 allotment rent (pro rata for 2 new plots)

5.2              Parish Council Payment Current Account: To formally ratify payments made in August





Amount £


Simon Saunders

Grass cutting parish



Simon Saunders

Grass cutting churchyard



J Hole

Salary and expenses








Maintenance of tipping rain gauge



 Due in September



Devon Communities Together

Annual Membership



Simon Saunders

Grass cutting parish



Simon Saunders

Grass cutting churchyard



J Hole

Salary and expenses







5.3              To approve signatures for this month’s cheques

5.4              Balances (after above transactions)

5.4.1           Parish Council Current Account balance: £11,594.10

5.4.2           Footpath Account: £268.02 

5.4.3           Car Park resurfacing fund balance: £6,013.83

5.5              Financial Statement and Budget Monitor (attached)


06/09/20     Matters raised by the Chair 


07/09/20     Councillor’s Reports    

7.1              Update on Coronavirus and NSC PC response

7.2              Areas of Responsibility reports

7.2.1           Allotments                  

08/09/20     Clerk’s Report

8.1              Post office report there are no issues with stoats in the post box by the old school

8.2              To note receipt of details of vehicles hassling drivers on A377

8.3              To agree Clerks attendance at SLCC virtual training conference (£25.00)

8.4              To note NALC National Salary award backdated to April 2020


09/09/20     Parish Council

9.1              Update on progress with Community Shop

9.2              To agree arrangements for October meeting – see hall restrictions below

9.3              To agree a change of use for the grant already awarded to the Parish Hall from stage lighting to installation of an additional radiator in the Club Room.

9.4              To note request from parishioner for the PC to establish a community broadband initiative to assist those areas of the parish which do not have a good connection speed

9.5              To note response from DCC re Average Speed Camera – see below

9.6              To note DALC AGM 7 October – to consider voting for board members – details circulated                  

10/09/20     Devon County Council

10.1            Outstanding Highways issues (see below)

10.2            New DCC issues

10.3            County Councillor, Cllr M Squires, to report on DCC business relevant to the parish


11/09/20     Miscellaneous Correspondence

DCC Climate emergency newsletter - circulated

MDDC Presentation to parishes on Covid – circulated

MDDC Climate conversation 2 - circulated        


12/09/20     Minor Matters and Items for Future Agenda

Each Councillor is requested to use this opportunity to report minor matters of information not included elsewhere on the agenda and to raise items for future agendas.  Councillors are respectfully reminded that this is not an opportunity for debate or decision making.


13/07/20     Date of next meeting: Thursday 1 October 2020, 7pm, location to be confirmed


End of Formal Business - Public Participation




Agenda Item 4.5 


We wanted to take this opportunity to write to make you aware of a new initiative to roll out dual use bins within the town centres. 

Whilst we wait to confirm availability for funding, we write to enquire whether you would be interested to upgrade your existing bins within the Parish to the dual use bins. These bins have two sides, one side is for general waste that is non-recyclable and the other that is for mixed recycling. The other option are dual side by side bins, one for general waste and the other for mixed recycling. This will also help to recycle of the go and support our green agenda.  

The cost per bin will be subject to registering your interest in this with us. In the first instance please can you email the Property Services department to confirm whether this is something that you would be interested in. 

We will advise on the cost including instalment prior to any financial commitment. 

Andrew Busby

Group Manager for Corporate Property and Commercial Assets 


Agenda Item 5.5

Accessibility Budget Monitor



Agenda item 9.2


I am pleased to be able to let you know that we intend to reopen the Hall on 1 October, but with tight restrictions. This is, of course, still dependent on their not being any marked deterioration in the covid situation or the introduction of any new regulations from government. 

The main restrictions are: 

  1. Restriction of numbers with maximum of 30 people for bookings in the Main Hall and 12 in the Club Room.
  2. Requirement to sanitise, socially distance and to wear face coverings wherever possible (and at all times if visiting the Post Office).
  3. Acceptance of only two bookings per day with an interval of at least 2 hours between bookings. This is required to facilitate rigorous cleaning by our caretaker after each booking.
  4. Closure of the kitchen. Users are requested to bring their own drinks.
  5. Closure of the stage.
  6. Requirement to keep a record of those attending in order to help Track and Trace.

It is important for all of us that the new restrictions are adhered to and this, of course, puts responsibilities on the Hall management, you as hirers and individuals in your group. We have produced a supplement to our conditions of hire to deal with this new situation. This includes important information on how you will have to operate, including exiting through the emergency exits, the use of chairs and tables and the toilet facilities. A copy is attached and this must be signed and returned to Mary before your first hire after our reopening.

If all goes well, and with your help and cooperation, we should be able to progressively relax these regulations and move back towards our previous situation.

With many thanks for your help and support and hope that you will be able to continue to use the Hall.


Agenda item 9.5

Thank you for raising the subject of an average speed system for Newton St Cyres with Cllr Hughes who has past it to me for my attention.  Please also accept my apologies for the delayed reply – I started looking into this for you following your initial enquiry but I didn't manage to complete it in good time, sorry about that. 

I do note though that my colleagues at the Safety Camera Partnership were a little more efficient and have responded.  To confirm, their position is correct.  The Partnership act under instruction from the highway authorities and police and do not themselves decide on camera installation. 

Regarding the ASC system proposal this was something I had discussed with Ian Sorenson when Ian suggested that there may be issues with the original proposal for a crossing facility for Newton St Cyres, specifically relating to cost and land take.  I offered this up to Ian as an alternative option for the Parish to consider and feedback from Ian was that this was accepted, subject to funding becoming available.  Again my understanding was that the funding would be sourced through developer contributions.  To confirm, there is no road safety resource available for such an installation but having carried out a feasibility survey and pricing for the work, I am satisfied at this stage that an ASC system could be installed if funding were available and if there was general agreement that it was required. 

I was not aware until recently that the crossing was now back as an option and my colleague Jamie Hulland, Transport Planning and Road Safety Manager, informs me that the Parish have prioritised a crossing and DCC have committed to installing one.  

As I indicated above the ASC system was originally put forward as an alternative to what seemed to be a problematic proposal for a pedestrian crossing.  If these problems have been overcome and a crossing is to be installed it does raise the question of the necessity for an ASC system. Certainly we would need to return to the feasibility survey in light of such a crossing as the crossing would affect normal traffic flow including reductions in through-traffic speeds when the crossing was in use.  My recommendation now would be to follow an incremental approach – install the crossing, see if it delivers what parishioners are hoping for and only then, if necessary, consider what additional measures might be required.  

Also, I would just like to confirm that there is no relationship between ASC systems proposed for the A361 upgrade and earlier proposals for such a system at Newton St Cyres – individual schemes are considered on their merit and in this particular instance there would be no 'competitive element' between the two systems as they would come from entirely different funding sources. 

Kind regards 

Jeremy Phillips

Road Casualty Reduction Team Manager 


Dear Cllr Hodge 

Thank you for your early response to my note to Jane and I note your concerns about traffic speed.  I will look into your request for speed monitoring in the area with colleagues in Highways and will see what action has been taken.  

Please do be assured however that my comments about ASC systems were made in a very particular context – specifically the use of an ASC in lieu of a crossing facility.  Discussions with me about the viability of an ASC for Newton St Cyres have only ever been in the context of a seeking an alternative approach to enabling villagers to cross the carriageway in the absence of a formal crossing.  If speed is being raised as a separate matter then we can relook at an ASC in that context.  The addition of a formal crossing will be a factor in that process because, as I mentioned earlier, it will affect traffic flow when in use – but it will be a consideration within a broader discussion. 

I understand from Jane that my reply will be considered at a future Parish meeting and I look forward to hearing the outcome.  To reiterate, I am not opposed to the use of an ASC in principle – as it was me who made that proposal in the first instance – but it is important that we fully understand the nature of the problem we are trying to resolve and the effect of any other highways measures that may be introduced at the same time.  I was not asked to look into how a crossing would work alongside an ASC, but rather what alternatives to a crossing might be available.  

Accordingly, as our original feasibility survey was conducted with a view to moderating and controlling traffic speed on the approach to where we thought most pedestrians would need to cross the carriageway, it would be helpful if, when the Parish Council meets, you could:

  1.  Confirm that traffic speed is an problem that requires resolution and
  2. Confirm the length of carriageway over which this problem would need to be addressed.  

That will help us to see if the original survey covered the area necessary to address a speeding concern. 

I will revert on the matter of your speed monitoring enquiry as soon as possible.


Kind regards


Jeremy Phillips


Dear Cllr Hodge


Further to my note below I can confirm that Speed Detection equipment is scheduled for deployment by our colleagues at the safety camera partnership to conduct the surveys requested.  It is our policy not to state when we will do this, or where the units will be deployed, but I can confirm that the deployment will be designed to offer a complete perspective on speed choice in the vicinity of Newton St Cyres.





Agenda Item 10.1 - Outstanding Highways issues

  • Speed restrictions in Station Road – SCARF re test requested
  • Request for a School sign in Station Road and possible zig-zag lines outside the school – declined - requested this is re-considered
  • Uncollected road signs
  • Request for a Road Safety audit on A377 in centre of village
  • Footpath from Layby to bus stop in Half Moon – request to DCC to improve surface/land owner re hedge
  • School Hill pavement – grass needs clearing – DCC chased
  • Various Drains
  • Broken flashing sign on A377
  • Chapter 8 training for volunteers